Eating out can be expensive and worrisome for the waistline. But the battle between high-quality food and reasonable prices shouldn’t be a decision we have to make. Lindsey Joe at the Meal Planning Method picks eight restaurants in Nashville that offer healthier options that won’t blow your paycheck.
1. The Centennial. It’s not typical to find good-for-food in a bar, but The Centennial has risen to the occasion. Their $8.01 Cauliflower Tacos come with 3 tacos topped with avocado and if you visit them for Taco Tuesday they’ll take an additional $2.00 off!
2. Mitchell Delicatessen. Nothing like a sad sandwich to make you want to go out to eat. Well the sammies made at Mitchell Delicatessen in East Nashville will be nothing short of satisfying. Choose from their Grilled Chicken Portabello or Grilled Veggie Sandwich for only $6.59.
3. Five Points Pizza. Now you can enjoy a solid slice on the East or West side thanks to Five Points Pizza’s newest Charlotte Avenue location. And don’t wait until dinnertime, take advantage of their Slice + Salad Special for lunch. It’ll only cost you $9.00! Moderation for your diet and your bank account.
4. Taco Mama. Order a veggie burrito bowl for just $6 and get ALL of your toppings for FREE – including cilantro lime rice, black beans, guacamole, pice de gallo, and grilled jalapenos! Visit their Hillsboro Village location next time your in Midtown.
5. Chicago Style Gyros. If you’re close to Germantown be sure to swing by the Nashville Farmers Market to stop in to Chicago Style Gyros. You’ll get a lot of bang for your buck with the Chicken Platter for $6.89, which comes with rice, pita bread, and your choice of salad or tabouli with cucumber dressing. I’d recommend the tabouli!
6. Bar-B-Cutie. With several locations throughout Middle TN you’re sure to find a Bar-B-Cutie close by. Better yet, you don’t have to break the bank when you eat here. Go for their $8.99 Smoked Turkey Breast Plate — you get to choose two sides plus bread. I’d suggest their baked potato and tossed salad.
7. Calypso Cafe. They’re a Nashville native’s go to for quick, healthy fare that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket. Order their Quarter White Chicken (in barbeque, jamaican curry, or jerk) with two sides for just $7.83! And you’ll want to opt for their Bean & Corn Salad and Spiced Sweet Potatoes as sides to get a well-balanced meal.
8. San Antonio Taco Company. This Vanderbilt staple has been serving cheap eats since 1984. A chicken fajita taco comes in under $2.00 and you can add on extra nutrition (like green peppers and onions, lettuce, or tomato) for just 25 cents each. And did I mention salsa is FREE?!
Lindsey Joe is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist from Nashville, TN. She is a weight management expert, meal planning master, and TN Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Nashville Media spokesperson. You can follow all her food-filled adventures at @themealplanningmethod!